Calypso Product Lead
Starting in 2016 I became the Calypso product lead for WordPress.com, continuing on from the successful launch of the Calypso project at the end of 2015. My responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the WordPress.com division leads, each focusing on specific areas of the WordPress.com product.
- Helping define, monitor, and execute on WordPress.com annual goals for growth, engagement, and revenue.
- Regular communication with the CEO, CFO, and CMO to co-ordinate product, business, and marketing goals.
- Facilitating clear cross-division and cross-team communication so we can be working together in the most efficient way.
Focus Lead: Project Calypso
Calypso was a project that ran for 18 months beginning in 2014. It was a disruptive project, aimed at completely changing the way we think about and build the WordPress.com user interface. As the lead of the project I:
- Worked with the founding team to map out the goals, direction, timeline, and scope for the first version of the Calypso interface.
- Successfully helped bring a development philosophy change to the company — continual peer code review through Github.
- Evangelized the project inside the company to bring more teams on board and working to port their WordPress features to the new Calypso interface.
- Helped to grow the number of engineers and designers contributing to the project from 7 to 120 over an eighteen month period.
- Helped to keep work focused, within scope, regularly tested, and iteratively shipping along the entire project timeline.
- After a successful project launch at the end of 2015, the project saw mobile web usage increase by 35%, page load times reduced by 12X, and RPU increase by 100%.
Division Lead: Triton Division
At the beginning of 2012, the “Triton” team started as five of us working on the next generation interface for WordPress.com. Over the past 4+ years it has grown to a division of 6 teams, and a total of 38 software engineers, designers, and testers. My responsibilities include:
- Strategic vision setting for the current Triton division focuses, our WordPress.com paid plans, and WordPress.com mobile apps.
- Annual goal setting for the division focuses, and together with team leads determining clear metrics and monitoring our progress.
- Regular communication with all six team leads, giving both team and individual performance feedback.
- Co-ordination with other division leads for WordPress.com cross-division projects.
Front End Engineer
I have also worked extensively on the interface design of WordPress.com, helping with the development and interface work of core WordPress.com and Automattic products.
Freelance UX Engineer
As a freelance engineer I worked with many clients from all across North America building website and application interfaces.
Senior UX Engineer
Worked with existing application platforms to build usable interfaces.
- 2005 and earlier available on LinkedIn
My most impactful and rewarding work to date has been leading the Calypso project, where we conceived, built, and launched a completely new interface for WordPress.com. Calypso is built using modern technology and represents a completely new direction for WordPress.com. Calypso receieved some great media coverage, reduced our page load times by 7x, increased our mobile engagement by 35%, and doubled revenue per user. I wrote more about the challenges and story behind the project on our development blog.