Calypso has been more than eighteen months in the making, and I’m proud of everyone who has played a part in bringing it to life. We’ve worked together through all the ups and downs that come along with a fundamental change to the way we work.
On a personal level, building Calypso has been an incredible experience as project lead. I’ve learnt a ton. Working out how we communicate effectively, organize cross-team goals, and plan and strategize around this project at Automattic has been (and remains) a wonderful challenge. I still have much more to learn, and I hope to write about a few of the challenges now that we’ve shared the project with you. If you’re interested in the project backstory I’ve written about how Calypso came to be on the WordPress.com developer site.
There are some great posts talking about the launch, I really love Matt’s take on the project and the philosophy behind it all. Here are some others from today:
- WordPress.com: Welcome to the New WordPress.com and WordPress.com App for Mac
- Om Malik: Some Thoughts on the New WordPress.com and Mac App
- Techcrunch: WordPress.com Goes Open Source And Gets A Desktop App
- Post Status: Automattic has released an open source WordPress.com Mac app
- WP Tavern: Automattic Unveils Calypso, an Open Source WordPress Desktop Application for the Mac
- Beau Lebens: All New WordPress.com